As Promised...

Spring Break Part Dos or How We Ate Our Way Through Texas!

Seriously, we were in the great state of Texas for one week, Saturday to Saturday, and NEVER were we hungry. But we continued to eat, drink and be merry until we got here:
At some point I may try to retell in all it's glory our run ins with the state of Louisiana, but that's a whole 'nother post. So after declaring we'd never eat or stop or drive through the state that shouldn't be spoken of again, we decided we'd eat after we got out of Houston. Then somehow we were almost to Austin and starving. Well, let me tell you, the great state of Texas does not allow anyone to be hungry EVER. So in this little town Elgin, 30mins. east of Austin we stopped for BBQ . Texans know how to BBQ YA'LL! And thus began the vacation of overeating.

Austin was our first destination on the way in and the last place we stayed with our family BFFs before heading home. This of course meant not only much food, but also mucho drinking. On Sunday we visited my cousin's church and afterwards Jesus wanted us to have margaritas and mexican food. Mmmm, margaritas and mexican, in a little local dive restaurant, there is nothing much yummier than that. During our 2nd stop at their house we went out for Double Dave's Pizza. And of course pizza buffet, with pizza rolls to die for, requires a pitcher of cold beer. Mmm, pizza and beer, close 2nd to margaritas and mexican. That night, when, did I mention we still weren't hungry after the buffet? We went here:
Our friends said the dinners were overpriced and not that good so we opted for appetizers (since did I mention we weren't really hungry?) and more beer. YUM and YUM! They had a band and everyone danced, especially the kids, what a fun night! Oh and did ya'll notice that view? Gorgeous! Frankly I would've paid for the overpriced not so yummy food just to enjoy the atmosphere there!

While eating our way through Texas we also stayed in Waco for a few days with my parents. Where we had more local hole in the wall delicious Mexican food. And then my mom bought a precooked brisket from the local HEB grocery store. I know, it doesn't sound that exciting. But have ya'll ever had bbq brisket? It's a cheap cut of meat that is practically non-existent here in Florida. Seriously this brisket from the grocery store was as good as any local restaurant. It was so good we had it for two meals, by choice, even though we weren't even hungry. At my parent's house love=food, so we were up having biscuits and bacon and sausage and eggs every morning, while discussing where we'd like to eat lunch. On our way home from lunch my mom was busy planning dinner and dessert (for the grandbabies of course). Lather, rinse, repeat for 3 days!

Our last stop on our way out of Texas was the great city of Beaumont where we stopped for lunch before entering the abyss of horrible service and food in the state that shall not be named. Both my parents and our friends had talked of taking us to Cheddars, yet we couldn't possibly shove any more food into our bodies while with either of them. And then there it was right off the highway calling to us, "Eat Here, NO ONE may Leave Texas Hungry, EAT HERE!" So we decided to take ourselves there. Do you people have this chain near you? Do you love it? Are you 500lbs? Because seriously the BEST chain restaurant (remember my love of all things Darden) I've ever eaten in. And the kicker BEST SERVICE we had the ENTIRE trip! As soon as we got back on the road I snagged hubby's iphone to see if there are Cheddars here in Florida. "The phone knows" became our mantra on the trip, I can not wait until the new ones come out this summer so I can have his as my very own. The trickle down effect is a lovely thing! Talk about a bright and shiny object, oh how I covet my husband's iphone! The all knowing iphone told me, nope not a Cheddars in our area. Only 3 in the entire state. As much as I'd love to have one close, I do believe my ass would quickly be to big too fit into my little car, as I'd be eating there all the time, so it's probably just as well.

Needless to say hubby and I are now dieting. Which hasn't been hard, seeing as we still aren't hungry! And the girls are going through grandma's candy withdrawls. We are hoping they recover by the end of the week.

Tune in tomorrow for Spring Break Part Tres - Me "Bringing Fun to the Trompler Family since 1972"!

5 comments:

Oh man..I think I just gained 5 pounds reading that. Sounds like an awesome time. Don't know if I should show hubby this blog entry though, he loves ALL things BBQ and will be begging for some.

:)

April 10, 2008 at 2:34 PM  

The BEST place for BBQ is The Salt Lick. It's outside of Austin and a bit of a trek to get there but oh my is it worth it and ALL YOU CAN EAT.

Chuy's is my preferred mexican yumminess.

I could list a bunch of great places to eat in Houston too, there is a reason we are such an obese city.

April 10, 2008 at 2:54 PM  

I always swear I'm going to try the plan where you diet before you go so the gaining is all guilt-free!

April 10, 2008 at 3:29 PM  

Cheddars is my favorite restaurant ever! I always order the triple treat sampler. I can eat it for 2 days because it's huge. (And sometimes if I'm really a piggie I can eat it all at once. And feel horrid afterwards!) ;)

April 12, 2008 at 12:28 AM  

Star: I surely gained 5 lbs eating it all!
Raven: Next trip will we make sure to hit the Salt Lick.
Jenn: Now there's an idea! I should know to do that when visiting my parents!
SimplyPink: HI! Thanks for stopping by. I had baked potato soup and shared a monte cristo with hubby. Everything was delicious! Mmmm, Cheddars!

April 12, 2008 at 1:00 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home